Making it up as I go
Short post for my readers! I want to gain 20 pounds by the end of 2018. I currently weigh 165 at 6’0. Today, I ate significantly well even though I didn’t plan my meals—there are a few areas where I can improve, but for the most part, I did very well, having finished my day with 3654 calories.
What really helped to push me over the top was tracking my calories, causing me to make a protein shake before bed. I almost went to sleep until I added my information from the day into Cronometer and found out that I was short at least 400 calories to match my energy output—if I didn’t eat enough, I would be losing instead of gaining muscle even though I worked out. While some of my inputs are rough estimates, it really allowed me to highlight how much I actually ate in the day. So what I did was made myself a protein shake to fill that gap.
Here’s what I ate today:
- 1 med Banana
- 1 small Orange
- 2 small Handful of Granola and pecans
- Burrito made with whole wheat tortilla, quinoa, spanish rice, black beans, pinto beans, cooked bell peppers and onion, raw cilantro and onions, pico de Gallo, corn, and guacamole
- Burrito made with white tortilla, beans and French fries
- Jasmine Petal Tea, 20 OZ
- Go Macro Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip bar
- Protein shake made with soy milk, peanut butter, chia seed, flax seeds, and Vegan Smart protein powder.
By the end of the day, I drank four bottles worth of water, reaching 64 ounces for the day. In the morning, I lifted weights, so it was very important that I get more than enough calories so that I can be at a surplus and gaining weight. I feel good. Hopefully, this is the jumping point for a healthier and happier vegan future.